Friday 4 November 2016

The space between art

My first body of work is starting to take shape "starting" what it has allowed me to do is the ironic thing "Produce artwork that could be displayed in a gallery" work that is in fact about a gallery space in which it presents itself in the gallery space . . . There is something rather fitting about that "A site specific body of work" . . . imagine looking at a photograph of a light fitting or a door that is physically 2 meters away? maybe Ive been reading Grayson Perry's "Playing in the gallery" too late at night and have some how started to think up ideas about mocking contemporary art . . any how after visiting a series of gallery spaces I am currently in the process of making a series of physical  "Directional, Navigational Diagrammatic models" communicating my movement within the gallery spaces and the proximity of "me" in relation to the space


Not only have I started to become obsessed with step counting and mapping routes through spaces but approaching a gallery this way has made me start to question and especially spend more time studying the space in all its glory. I have had some strange stares, had to ask some very awkward questions such as "Do you mind if I take a photograph of the white wall and not the Ed Rucha painting please?" and have also had some pleasant conversations with those who were brave enough to ask to the mad man "me" photographing the white wall "what is it you are doing?"

If people are happy to go and have a conversation and look at Robert Rauschenbergs "white painting" work then they should be able to look at a white wall. The question for me now is where is this going? I have maps, photographs illustrations of blank space but what is my spatial concern? Below are both the 2Dimensional and 3Dimensional digital drawings taken from one of my gallery visits. It is these that will be now worked into physical models.



No comments:

Post a Comment