Wednesday 9 November 2016

Spatial interventions

Intervention: Noun
1. The act or fact of intervening
 
Intervening: Verb (used without object), intervened, intervening.
1. To come between disputing people, groups, etc.; intercede; mediate.
2. To occur or be between two things.
3. (of things) to occur incidentally so as to modify or hinder:
 
With my recent practice being active led research following on from the gallery visits and documenting particular details and information in quite a conceptual way, my gallery step drawings and isometric drawings have started to create these physical barriers or interventions within the space. 
 
The word intervention also came to me from one of the theory lectures considering an architectural element that has inhabited and existing frame or space. I have started to view these linear routes/paths [where I have intervened/inhabited the space] as as physical mapping of my past, my navigation around the space, but there is a particularly interesting proposition which I think will take my work forwards which is "If these linear routes become physical albeit an architectural structure then people cannot walk in the line I made". . . it has almost created a barrier [Although I do not like nor want to consider that word playing a negative role]
 
The structure should open up an inquiry as to A:Why is it there? B:What is its primary function [If a function is required? and C:What changes are made to my experience within the gallery space now that this architectural intervention is situated within the space? Ironically not only have my architectural drawings started to recall the aesthetics of Antony Gormley' "Run" sculpture [who was the artists on show at the White Cube when I visited] but they also have a relationship with Mondrian [again one of my original references] where planes and forms are created from the extrusion and erection of the floor into these 3Dimensional forms. Mondiran's ideas behind space have suddenly become physical in my work where the space of the gallery is now sub divided or at least perceived in this way. 
 




Creating spatial interventions:
 
1. Challenges the sequential movement of the audience [in the context of the art gallery] 
2.Creates a new mapping of the gallery floor
3. Creates/challenges new questions in the curration of contemporary art works 
4. Situates itself as a piece of architectural furniture that shifts a perspective/framed view on the artwork and the viewer

No comments:

Post a Comment