Monday 21 November 2016

Manhattan Transcripts [1976-1981]

Recent theoretical research has brought me to read and reference the ideas and work of Bernard Tschumi and his manifestos on architecture. In particular I have looked at the visual analogy of his "Manhattan transcripts" project to connect to the conceptual way that I wish to present my work ahead of the critique on Thursday. 

Just provide myself with a little bit of context [All of which was taken from the Manhattan transcripts book in the library]. The Manhattan transcripts differ from most architectural drawings insofar as they are neither real projects nor mere fantasies. Developed in the late 1970's they proposed to transcribe an architectural interpretation of reality. . .To this aim, they employed a particular structure involving photographs that either direct or 'witness' events [also identified as a programme] . . .at the same time plans, sections and diagrams outline spaces and indicate the movements of the different protagonists into the architectural stage set. 




Because my work has strong links to conceptual art and has taken much reference from the 1960's/1970's artists who were questioning ideologies of space, interventions and the audience, I gave myself a set of rules [in the same way the transcripts did] to determine the structure of what I would present at the critique. I wanted each presentation sheet to become almost a set of dis-junctions but at the same time could be read together, meaning that I could juxtapose particular visual elements that could be read both individually or as a collective [obviously the last thing I want to do is confuse my peers and tutors even more]. The structure for each sheet involved having the following evidenced: 

- A piece of text [or multiple texts]
- Photograph/s
- Diagrams
- Technical elements


Personally I think this structure worked really well in not only visually supporting the narrative and conceptual ideas behind my work, but the challenge of presenting in line with the context of your work and that process of selection [that Pete has discussed] that enables my work to communicate my ideas and intentions without my presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment