Thursday 23 February 2017

Tutorial

My studio practice is moving along fast since I initially discussed the use of extracting text to produce a piece of text that would i would then start to respond to. I have been building my lazer cut trajectories to give me some physical forms that I can start reflecting on and considering what they are about. I am also finding myself spending a lot of time reflecting and planning what "the project is about" and how this all starts to come together as a complete body of work. I am being encouraged and praised for letting go but at some point I need to understand what this all means. A daily activity seems to bee drawing upon these large sheets of semi-planning and analysis. This is starting to breakdown the elements and allow me to question each stage and in turn inform the next. The trajectory forms were well received by my tutor and peers and although there was a conversation of the ambiguity of scale being a good thing, I feel that without scale the work perhaps explored previous doesn't connect.  The project in my view has three/four parts that as a complete scheme give you a body of work that would hypothetically go into the three Gagosian Gallery sites and potentially in-between space, connecting these galleries to one-another.




1. The initial breakdown and extraction of the "walking in the cities" text provides an opportunity to produce both graphic and re-appropriated "assemblage" work that start to discuss the connect of walking, but also visually start to depict the breaking lines and forms created from my analysis exercise on a two-dimensional level. The ideas and work of Joeph Koseth, Kurt Schwitters and Kata Strunz all start to play a supportive reference role in making sense of art, architecture and language.


2. The trajectory lines developed into three-dimensional forms have started to take a consideration towards furniture. I started to question the role of public seating within gallery spaces and have found some basic but interesting information. There is a lack of seating and although this project is not going to be about solving a seating crisis, for me I feel I need to have some context in order to justify and push my design decisions forward. The idea of these seating forms taking their shape form a piece of text about 'walking' is slightly ironic, although I am looking at these pieces of furniture as a connector between spaces and within the space themselves.  At the moment I am testing out the forms at various scales [I have a total of six different forms, each in reference to a book page, and would like to select one and aim for a 1:1 model for the interim show]




3. Reflecting back on my unit 01 work and walking around each gallery space, I feel it is important to keep this work within the project scheme, its relation to each site and the text is particularly strong and what is required now is to really consider how this works within the space. My ideas at the moment are carry out a final work that goes around and between each gallery site. I want to look more into how this routes come together and how they impact on the gallery space [using the largest Britannia street site]. Fred Sandback has become an important reference at the moment although more research is required into his work. The key strength in this is that his work very much relates back to the conceptual artists [a significant important part of of unit 01 work]

4. The final element and how I would like to push and extend the media of my practice is to work with video. I have only really started to make some hypothetical suggestions and notes surrounding this piece, but would for the interim show like to produce some tests, perhaps using the university own gallery space [this is more accessible, although at the moment I am struggling with finding out how to even access the space]. The main idea behind the video work is to include and highlight an element of the temporal and temporality, of which a lot of my early research and interest started with. This would also offer an opportunity to have the manifesto [the extracted text] as a potential soundtrack, which would mean that the text that I am working with and responding to takes shape in both text, visual, structure and sound.

A lot to think about, a lot to research, a lot to bloody make and a lot to write about. My research paper at the moment has gone way over my head as this project has completely opened up into a rather large scale project. I am excited though. I need to really break down what I want long term [final show and hand in] and work backwards. I feel that I have enough initial research and justification as to support my proposal, but I suppose the upcoming critique or progress review will inform me of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment